Forty four men have served as President of the United States of America; all of their names appear in the US Presidents List below. All past US
presidents and the current president are included in order of when they took office. This timeline also shows the dates of each president's term as
chief executive of the USA. You will find links on this page to assassinated presidents and links to pages listing who in our opinion were the best and
worst presidents in history. Within this site you will also find interesting pages full of facts and information about various presidents including
where they were born and how they came to power. All our pages are written for both kids and adults alike to enjoy.
List of All US Presidents
- George Washington (1789 - 1797)
- John Adams (1797 - 1801)
- Thomas Jefferson (1801 - 1809)
- James Madison (1809 - 1817)
- James Monroe (1817 - 1825)
- John Quincy Adams (1825 - 1829)
- Andrew Jackson (1829 - 1837)
- Martin Van Buren (1837 - 1841)
- William H. Harrison (1841)
- John Tyler (1841 - 1845)
- James K. Polk (1845 - 1849)
- Zachary Taylor (1849 - 1850)
- Millard Fillmore (1850 - 1853)
- Franklin Pierce (1853 - 1857)
- James Buchanan (1857 - 1861)
- Abraham Lincoln (1861 - 1865)
- Andrew Johnson (1865 - 1869)
- Ulysses S. Grant (1869 - 1877)
- Rutherford B. Hayes (1877 - 1881)
- James A. Garfield (1881)
- Chester A. Arthur (1881 - 1885)
- Grover Cleveland (1885 - 1889)
- Benjamin Harrison (1889 - 1893)
- Grover Cleveland (1893 - 1897)
- William McKinley (1897 - 1901)
- Theodore Roosevelt (1901 - 1909)
- William H. Taft (1909 - 1913)
- Woodrow Wilson (1913 - 1921)
- Warren G. Harding (1921 - 1923)
- Calvin Coolidge (1923 - 1929)
- Herbert Hoover (1929 - 1933)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933 - 1945)
- Harry S. Truman (1945 - 1953)
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953 - 1961)
- John F. Kennedy (1961 - 1963)
- Lyndon B. Johnson (1963 - 1969)
- Richard M. Nixon (1969 - 1974)
- Gerald R. Ford (1974 - 1977)
- Jimmy Carter (1977 - 1981)
- Ronald Reagan (1981 - 1989)
- George H. W. Bush (1989 - 1993)
- Bill Clinton (1993 - 2001)
- George W. Bush (2001 - 2009)
- Barack Hussein Obama (2009 - Present)
List of US Presidential Firsts
- Being the first US President George Washington naturally had a lot of presidential first including first to be sworn in and the first inaugural speech.
He was also the first to appear on a US postage stamp.
- Barack Obama is the first African American president.
- John Adams was the first President who lived in the White House.
- William Henry Harrison became president in 1841. Thirty two days after becoming president he died making him the first president to die in office and also the president who served the shortest term.
- Although there was an assassination attempt on Andrew Jackson (first ever on a US president); Abraham Lincoln was unfortunately the first President to be assassinated.
- In 1906 Theodore Roosevelt was the first President to receive the Nobel Prize.
- The first unmarried man to be elected President was James Buchanan.
- The first Catholic President was John Kennedy.
- On August 9th 1974 Richard Nixon became the first President to resign the presidency. He was facing almost certain impeachment due to the Watergate scandal.
- On December 6th 1923 Calvin Coolidge delivered the first presidential address broadcast on radio.
- The first President to appear on television was Franklin Roosevelt which was at the 1939 Worlds Fair.